Suggestions for winter trip

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Dorothy

Suggestions for winter trip

Post by Dorothy »

Hey guys,

I MAY have the chance to spend about 2 1/2-3 days in Yellowstone in January (weather permitting and such).

I am STOKED at the thought, as I've always wanted to visit Yellowstone in the winter. However, time is definitely limited (we can reach West Yellowstone on the 1/2 day, and probably get home before having to go back to work on the late 1/2 day, leaving about two days (probably more like 1 1 1/2 days, as we'll need to at least start toward home the evening of the second day).

So, what would you guys suggest as the best use of the time? We've always wanted to try a snowcoach tour, but don't know if they're as good or better than simply driving out into Lamar (and if we can afford them, since it seems they are pretty pricey). Has anyone ever taken one and if so, could you suggest the best one to take or the most bang for the buck?

Or should we just spend a couple of days driving down from Gardiner out into Lamar and back for several times? Are there other places around that are good for drive throughs? We are (of course) looking for the best chances for wildlife viewing, although a look at a geyser basin or two in the winter would be neat, too (or the falls). We just don't know what the best choices might be if we get this chance.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

billandkaren

Re: Suggestions for winter trip

Post by billandkaren »

Hi Dorothy, So glad you may get to go out to the park this January. I have never done the winter snow coach thing so I can't help you there. I have been in the park several times in winter and it was beautiful, as I mentioned in my recent post. I was there once in January a couple years ago and it was special to see it then. It was 23 degrees below zero and the frozen ice particles were sparkling in the air. The frost on the trees was beautiful as well. In Lamar there was a cloud on the ground but sun and blue sky in the air--really neat. As for animal life it is very hit-and-miss as you well know. The day we were there recently we didn't see much at all. But the day before others saw two wolf packs and the cougar!

It seems like the elk and bison have almost totally left Lamar. My theory is they have learned to avoid the wolves that used to hang out in Lamar in winter. So naturally the wolves have gone elsewhere too. Seems like the Junction Buttes are more visible at the pullouts between Roosevelt and Floating Island during winter the last couple of years, and the Eight Mile pack is further west around the Rescue Creek trailhead. They seem to howl more in the winter so you may get a chance to hear them. I heard that occasionally a few of the Mollies come over the ridges in Lamar from the south and the few remaining Lamars may show up in the east end of the valley.

I have seen coyotes every trip in the winter, if not in the valley, then at Slough Creek or Pebble Creek. Moose are often seen from the Confluence out to the East entrance. Foxes are beautiful this time of year and I've seen them a couple of times. Any open water has potential for otters but I only saw them once and it was in March, I believe. Bighorns may be on the hills above and opposite the confluence, on the mountains between Mammoth and Gardiner, or around Yellowstone picnic area. You may want to go over the River at Corwin Springs outside Gardiner. I'm not sure what will still be there in January but there were bighorns, elk, proghorn, and deer along the Old Yellowstone Rd when we were there a few weeks ago.

The easiest waterfall to see in winter is Undine. They plow out the parking area regularly. You have to be careful, but you can find a way down to the overlook. It is gorgeous, mostly frozen but some water trickling down. Mammoth is beautiful but they close the Upper Terraces drive.

Depending on the amount of snow and the weather, you may want to consider taking Hwy 287 to Rt 84 into Bozeman. It's further but there is usually a lot less snow than along Rt 191.

Let us know what you decide to do about the snow coach. And please give us a trip report as well. Good luck!! --Bill

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Thanks so much -- this is really helpful. I do have a question -- exactly where is the Old Yellowstone Road? We found the "old" road from Mammoth to Gardiner a few years back after hearing about it for a few years, and absolutely love to go along it whenever we're there and it's open. But I'm not sure I know where the Old Yellowstone Road is and how to get to it.

I'm really crossing my fingers that the weather works out so we have a chance to go. If all we have the chance to do is drive through Lamar a few times, it will be really exciting for us. All your descriptions sound so lovely and so different from what we've seen of Yellowstone so far.

Again, thanks so much for the help.

billandkaren

Post by billandkaren »

But I'm not sure I know where the Old Yellowstone Road is and how to get to it.
It is actually named Old Yellowstone Trail S. It runs from the Roosevelt Arch north for about 15 miles towards the Tom Miner Basin. You can also access it from Hwy 89 at Corwin Springs (about 8 miles north of Gardiner) by driving west across the bridge. This is where we usually access it and drive south into Gardiner. This is along the migration route that many animals take out of the park. I'm not sure what will be there in January. But it is a neat drive with some interesting rock formations forming narrow canyons that have been carved in.

The road is gravel/dirt but is in reasonably good condition most of the time. It gets worse as you go north from Corwin Springs.