Help Needed from Nikon/Photoshop users

There is only one Wonderland, but let's also talk about and share photos of other national parks.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Mike

Help Needed from Nikon/Photoshop users

Post by Mike »

I bought a Nikon D7200 and shoot exclusively in raw format(NEF) and have a old version of Photoshop CS2 v9.0 with raw plugin v3.xx.I could not open raw files so I updated to raw plugin 9.0 which supports the D7200 but I still get "wrong kind of document" warning.

I have read endless threads on Adobe forums and other photo sites from a google search and have followed the instructions and still can not get the software to open a NEF file.The only thing I could do was to re-format 50GB of pics to .dng which took a very long time,has anybody had to go through this and what was the fix or does anyone have a suggestion on fixing this issue.All adobe can offer is to reformat to .dng which makes post work slow and tedious,more so than it already was.

yellvet

Re: Help Needed from Nikon/Photoshop users

Post by yellvet »

Mike, have you checked the Adobe compatibility chart that lists all the Nikon cameras by model and the camera's compatibility with the Adobe Camera Raw and DNG converter programs? The D7200 has been around for awhile, so you may need to upgrade your software. Here the link to Adobe's compatibility chart. The last update was made on 6/12/16:
http://blog.gerardprins.com/blog2.php/2 ... -converter

Here's another link that I found that also addresses your problem: https:/.adobe.com/thread/1872359

Hope this helps, Mike. Before you spend any money, though, I would definitely check with Adobe before you spend any money. It looks like Adobe has a free DNG converter program called "Nikon Capture NX-D that you might be able to use to open your NEF files in Adobe Camera Raw. Not sure if it's compatible with Photoshop CS2, though. You may need to upgrade your PS photo editing program. The Nikon D7200 takes impeccable images. So,it might be worth it to contact Adobe support first, to see what Adobe programs still support the Nikon D7200 and PS 2. This is one on of the reasons why I use Canon camera systems. I've been using the same Canon raw converter program and the same basic Adobe photo editing program for almost a decade. They work just fine for my purposes, so I see no reason to upgrade or change software.

Here's my rationale. If you concentrate on taking high quality original images from the get-go, you really shouldn't need to enhance/edit your images much, if at all. Perhaps just a little color saturation and/or sharpening. So you don't really need an expensive photo editing program with all the bells and whistles. A basic one should be more than adequate. This philosophy has served me well over the years. Using an older program has also saved me a ton of money. And there was no learning curve, which is usually the case when you buy a new photo editing software program. More importantly, if you're planning to submit any of your images for publication, be aware that most publication art directors will not accept images that have been edited/enhanced in Photoshop. And if they do, edits must be kept to a minimum and be very, very slight.

Good luck, Mike! I know all too well how time-consuming it can be when you have to convert raw images into a different file format just so you can resize or edit an image. Did it every day for more years than I'd like to remember. At my age, I don't have the time any more to do all those extra steps. Nor do I want to. So for now, I limit the conversions to my special wildlife behavior series that are taken with my pro cameras. For everything else, I use my small point & shoot that shoots jpegs. Simply changing the recording format from raw to jpeg has saved me hours and hours of post processing. So, instead of sitting behind a computer editing pix, now I'm able to spend more time with my grand kids, the local critters and going for walks along the river. As you can see, my priorities in life have changed. But I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Steve

Post by Steve »

The plugin is probably incompatible with CS2. Adobe changed the way that they update the raw files plugin. CS2 would use the old way, and I think they changed somewhere around CS5 or 6.
It used to be a totally manual operation. You'd go into window and find the file in CS2, drag it out of there and manually insert the new one. With new versions, it was an auto install.
Try Topaz Studio. It's free.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Steve are you talking about cameraraw.8bi I did try that,move the plugin file to another folder and let the update take it's place,it didn't work.The big shock was there appears to be no more Photoshop to upgrade to unless I want to get a cloud subscription,a big no thank you Adobe!

I have not shot since my trip,so no long re-formatting,so it looks like trying alternatives like Topaz,I tried the NIkon Capture but there is that lag time between making a adjustment and application,that's what I like about Photoshop is making fine adjustments and seeing it,not waiting to see if it's what I want

Steve

Post by Steve »

Yea, that file. The 8b whatever.
It's been a real long time since I did it. The last time I tried was with CS4. I tried to get the newer 8bi file and they changed how it's done. Tried both ways and neither worked.
I haven't tried Topaz Studio but do use Topaz Adjust and love it. Hated using dng files. Converting to that, and hated working on them as well

Steve

Post by Steve »

A friend suggested this. It's $69. No nothing about it
https://skylum.com/luminar