Recent PNW Bird Photos

There is only one Wonderland, but let's also talk about and share photos of other national parks.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Max

Recent PNW Bird Photos

Post by Max »

I led a couple of local tours last week. The first day was centered around Stanwood and the Skagit Valley here in western Washington. The second day we went up to Boundary Bay and Reifel Bird Sanctuary in BC, and then popped back down to Skagit Valley again. Day Two was marred by rain most of the day, so photo opportunities were limited.

I have uploaded shots from these outings to a new gallery for 2019 PNW stuff in my photo archive, as well as a few leftovers from an October trip to Boundary Bay/Reifel (those were added to the PNW 2018 gallery in my archive). Here's a short preview:

Long-billed dowitchers from October

Short-eared owl, Stanwood

Rough-legged hawk flying in front of Short-eared owl, Skagit Valley

We were treated to a couple rarities on Day 1, including a Snowy Owl and this Leucistic Bald eagle.

The Barn owl that's been hanging out at Stanwood lately. Photographed after sunset just as we were about to leave.

Sandhill crane in the rain up at Reifel

And here's a bonus shot of the lunar eclipse, photographed from my deck in Seattle.

Max

yellvet

Re: Recent PNW Bird Photos

Post by yellvet »

Lovely shots, Max! The lunar eclipse was visible in SoCal about the same time it was visible in Seattle. Sat on our patio for about 3 hrs. taking pix about every 30 minutes. The sky was gin clear that night so I managed to get some decent shots. Sent a few pix to the grand kids so they could see what a blood moon looks like and what happens to the moon during a total eclipse. One of the kids just got a new telescope for his BD so I thought he'd enjoy seeing the blood moon and the lunar eclipse up close. But he had already gone to bed and missed it. :(

bridger1215

Re: Recent PNW Bird Photos

Post by bridger1215 »

Great shots Max! Good luck to catch the Leucistic Bald eagle, that was a new one to me.