First Timers

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

SueB

First Timers

Post by SueB »

Hi - planning our first trip to Yellowstone with two teenagers. I've been doing research on the internet and the amount of info is overwhelming! Any advice on a good 7 night itinerary that includes the Tetons? Thank you!

rzrpirate

Re: First Timers

Post by rzrpirate »

Split it 5 YNP 2 GTNP or 4/3. Yellowstone is really big and you can spend all the time you want to there. The Tetons are great also but just not as many roads. You certainly need to hit all must see stuff, Old Faithful area, Canyon area, Hayden Valley, Lamar Valley, Mammoth Hot Springs, Norris Geyser basin. In between all these are numerous side sights. I highly recommend visiting every visitor center/ museum. Also if you enjoy museums Cody is a must with the Wild Bill Cody museums. If mountain scenery is an interest take the Beartooth Highway out of the NE entrance, follow it down to Rock Cut pull out ( I believe that's what its called) then backtrack to the Chief Joseph highway and take it to Cody. See a couple of museums, go to the rodeo, and head back from Cody to YNP via the east entrance. This would be an awesome but doable day. To Plan start with the major stuff and fill in. Don't over plan. Flexibility is important on a park as varied as Yellowstone.

TNBob

Post by TNBob »

SueB, Really good thoughts by rzipirate. Yes, for first timers and even repeat visitors Yst is overwhelming. Looking back I took four or five trips before I was fairly satisfied I knew the areas and opportunities. I don't know time of year you are planning, but be sure to factor weather if early/mid spring or mid/late fall. Also factor in what is your first priority; wildlife viewing, hiking, geysers, etc. If your family is interested and wants guaranteed grizzly bear viewing, by all means I highly recommend visiting the Grizzly Wolf Center in West YST! You will get as close to grizzlies and observe their interaction, etc. as possible. Great exhibits also. One other suggestion, if you go out to the East Entrance, extremely scenic highway, good wildlife opportunities and outside East gate, stop at Pahaska Teepee for breakfast/lunch. Great food, beautiful historic setting with Buff Bill's original hunting lodge. Time and distance moving around will surprise you, plan accordingly and adjust if you need to after first day or so getting around. Have a great trip!!

Good luck and believe it or not, planning can be half the fun.

SueB

Post by SueB »

This is great....thanks so much for the information! Is it best to find accommodations in one spot and use this as a base to visit all of these areas?

Steve

Post by Steve »

I wouldn't do one spot for both parks. One spot for GTNP, then one spot for YNP. Try to stay at one of the more central locations in YNP: Lake, Canyon, Old Faithful.
What time of year are you planning? That could change some of the replies you get.

bsinc1962

Post by bsinc1962 »

The only thing I would say is determine your lodging and book as son as possible. I read a story yesterday locally that stated that lodging in Yellowstone for next summer is already filling up.

Max

Post by Max »

Steve stole my question. Time of year makes a huge difference when it comes to trip planning. Road closures, wildlife activity, etc. change drastically each season and will affect how best to go about it.

Max

Steve

Post by Steve »

Max wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:49 am
Steve stole my question.

Max
Next time, don't leave it just laying around for anyone to take. :D