35 SLR and digital compatability

Share you photos here.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

rzrpirate

35 SLR and digital compatability

Post by rzrpirate »

Is it possible to match a zoom from a 35 SLR telephoto zoom to a digital camera? If yes where would be the best place to do this? I'd rather not just order a camera without test fitting it if possible. TIA

Max

Re: 35 SLR and digital compatability

Post by Max »

Much probably depends on the age of the lens, the camera model, etc. Some more modern lenses that were manufactured in the last days of film SLRs (thinking specifically about my lenses for Canon a good 15+ years ago) were compatible for my transition to digital, for example, but I know that's not always the case.

It may be possible to find adapters too. I'd say your best bet is to Google the specific lens/camera combo you're trying to match to see if anyone else has tried the same thing. There's a good chance you'll find the info you need that way.

Otherwise, why not take your lenses to a store and see if they'll let you try to fit the lens on one of the sample models?

Max

yellvet

Re: 35 SLR and digital compatability

Post by yellvet »

rzrpirate, my best advice is to call B & H Photo in NY (they have a toll free phone number). They sell older 35mm gear and they also sell a Novo lens adapter that possibly might work. But it's going to depend on the make of your digital camera and the lens. Seems to me that I read that the adapter works with a Canon camera but you have to operate the camera a bit differently to get it to work. If anyone can help you, it's B & H. They're terrific, and their camera reps are incredibly knowledgeable. Best part, they have a super no-hassle return policy. Been dealing with B & H since the late 90's and I can't say enough good things about them. I went through the 35mm to digital transition. And B & H helped me all along the way. So, I'm sure that they'll be able to help you....whether it's good news or bad. You also might want to see if there are labs that will still process a roll of 35mm slide/print film. Unfortunately, even if you can find a lab, the cost of processing might be too prohibitive for you.

Before the photography world went digital, the cost of buying a roll of 24- exposure Kodak Kodachrome 35mm slide film and the cost of processing a roll of film for making prints and/or slides was hideously expensive. So, photographers had to make every picture count. But,IMO, the image quality of pix taken with 35mm slide film, is still top notch in my book. Right now, I'm looking at an 11x14 landscape enlargement that's hanging on the wall behind me. I took the photo of Thunder Mountain in 1982 up in the Beartooth Mountains, using Kodachrome 25 slide film. IMO, the image quality of a 35mm image can still easily rival or surpass the quality of a digital image. So you might find it more appealing to see if you can find a high quality used, mint condition 35mm film camera to buy so you can use your 35mm lenses. But here's the challenge. You'll need to find a source (s) that still sells and processes 35mm film. I bet B&H might be able to help you and give you the names of a lab or two. I used to use Dale Laboratories (in Florida) but I have no idea if they're still in business. But their 35mm processing turnaround was super fast and their processing cost was one of the most competitive in the country. After seeing your post, I think I might just give B & H a call. I've got several high quality 35mm Nikon lenses and cameras that I inherited from my father-in-law. Would like to see if they have any resale value or see if I could use an adapter so I could get them work with any of my 35mm film or digital cameras. Good luck with your research and please let us know what you find out.