Gear Review: MindShift Gear MP-1 and MP-3 Photo Packs

Share you photos here.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Max

Gear Review: MindShift Gear MP-1 and MP-3 Photo Packs

Post by Max »

Hi everyone. The folks at MindShift Gear sent me a couple of their newest "big lens" photo packs for review. These are the new MP bag designs, an updated take on the Moose Peterson top flap design (a style some might also recognize from the old Gura Gear bags that are no longer made).

I was able to test these bags out in Yellowstone and South America in recent months, and have written up an extensive review for those that are considering getting a new photo pack.

Read the review here.

Max

RikWriter

Re: Gear Review: MindShift Gear MP-1 and MP-3 Photo Packs

Post by RikWriter »

Thanks for the review, Max. It's a shame more companies don't concentrate on designing bags that will fit on airplanes.

Max

Re: Gear Review: MindShift Gear MP-1 and MP-3 Photo Packs

Post by Max »

RikWriter wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:44 am
Thanks for the review, Max. It's a shame more companies don't concentrate on designing bags that will fit on airplanes.
Both MindShift and ThinkTank do have smaller bags that fit as carry-ons. In this case the MP-3 would fit under the seat of nearly any commercial plane I've been on, and in the overhead on any plane but the smaller prop-powered commuter jets. The problem is that there's always too much gear to take, and we'll never feel really comfortable checking anything electronic. Even with these photo packs, I still end up carrying a bunch of extra pouches on a belt for additional gear or accessories (including non-photo stuff like toiletries) that won't fit in the pack. As I've written in the past, sometimes those pouches are needed just to sneak heavier gear past picky gate agents who choose to weigh carry-ons, which is a whole other problem beyond the space the bag takes up.

Right now, my ThinkTank StreetWalker HD remains my favorite big lens bag due to portability, security features and a nicely placed laptop pocket. Some day I'll have to write a piece extolling the virtues of that pack, since it hasn't been supplanted yet. ;)

Max