Park update 5/1

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Mike

Park update 5/1

Post by Mike »

. I've been in the park since last Thursday two days hot weather two days snowy weather,about two inches today. Wolves at the lower den,996m chased a grizzly cub up a tree across from fishermans yesterday.grey in area of Soda Butte .Lamar is very swampy,grazers sticking to hillsides or Little America .Black with cinnamon cub at Yellowstone Bridge .Black at Roosevelt keeps getting hazed.Lot of moose At RP and cow and one year old at Elk Creek.

Sorry I tapped this out on my phone,full trip report when home in two weeks

lah

Re: Park update 5/1

Post by lah »

Thanks for the report. Keep it coming!

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Thanks SO much! Sounds like lots of action going on. Can't wait to get there. Please get your complete report in when you can -- can't wait to read it! Again, thanks.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Had to leave the park and head to Idaho to have a new water pump installed on my truck,so the Teton leg of my trip is over.Still working on photos for trip report.On Friday went over to Hayden which was still one to two feet of snow with some four to six foot drifts at the side of the road. Becuase of this only saw a few bison on one exposed hill out from Grizzly Overlook and a few near Steamboat Point,turned around at Lake Butte overlook.At Le Hardy Rapids the turnout was coned off and no entry signs were up,I was told by someone I know and trust that there was a carcass and that was the reason for the closure.Drove from Madison to Lake Butte and did not see one elk

Black bears at the usual places,Yellowstone River bridge,Floating Island Lake,Phantom Lake.Grizzly bears off of Fishermans,Slough Creek side of Jasper Bench,Up near the lower den at Slough till run off by the wolves,and Sow with two cubs at Nymph Lake.

Some red fox sightings at Mammoth Campground,and near Trout Lake and one at Fishing Bridge.Snow is just now melting at places in the north and at Gibbon Meadow and heard at least two wolves howling one night at Madison Camp.

As for the road construction,same as last year and the year before that.Most work stops for the weekend except some stone cutters working on Saturday and Sunday.

Have fun to those going up soon and be safe

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Thanks for the report -- sounds like there is a lot of animal action in various places. I'm looking forward to full report w/photos!

Sounds like maybe the Hayden Valley/Fishing Bridge to Lake Butte is not very active right now? We were thinking of taking one of our days to head out there and take a look around, but if there's not much going on, I'm wondering if hanging around Lamar an extra day might be better. What do you think?

Again, thanks for taking the time to report. I enjoy reading about the Park and it really helps me as I plan my (too few) days in the Park. Good luch getting that pump fixed!

Mike

Post by Mike »

Weather is a mixed bag right now,most of the time rain but did get snow ,sleet and some hail(a humdinger of a hail storm) so the melt should speed up considerably.The only sure thing is the Lamar.Norris to Canyon to Lake is at least two weeks from green up,Gibbon is about fifty percent clear with a few bison,Swan Flats still lots of snow and the lake/pond is still frozen.Yellowstone Lake has NO open water except for about twenty feet from the shore.,Round Prairie was well covered but melting rapidly

I would talk to people that have been over to Hayden before spending a whole day to find really nothing to see,besides the grizz at Nymph Lake/Grizzly Lake area all the action is from Mammoth to the Lamar.

To those looking for birds,plenty of sandhills,osprey nest in Lamar Canyon has a mating pair but no chicks visable,Madison River eagle nest occupied by two Canada Geese.I thought I saw two peregrine falcons at Mammoth ,what ever they were,they were diving with wings swept back and so fast I really could not ID what I was seeing.

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Thanks for the info -- maybe we will wait and see if anyone's reporting anything from Hayden before we spend too much time getting there. It's a LONG drive when you can't just go over Dunraven, and we don't want to waste our little time. We'll see. Appreciate your help!