Sept. 25, 2018

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

lah

Sept. 25, 2018

Post by lah »

I thought I had a pretty good day until I looked at the exposures on my pictures. Oh, well. It was still fun.
Ran into Max and tour group again, this time at Sheepeater. Got to talk a few minutes.
It was fun watching the elk at Mammoth. They were on the lawn at the medical clinic, blocking the doorway. One even went up the steps and spent a long time looking in, like she maybe wanted as aspirin for a headache or something.
The rut for this group is apparently over and newly tagged bull No. 18 is boss. The ranger told me this is the bull that was photographed a couple of days ago with a string of Christmas lights in his antlers, and that's why they tagged him. It is not the one that chased the guy into the little corral across from the hotel. The ranger said that one hadn't been seen for a few days, and the last time they saw him, he had a pretty bad limp.
Anyway, No. 18 spent time going around to a lot of his ladies, nudging them and acting nice to them. And he went and admired himself in the clinic windows for quite awhile.
As I was driving toward Tower, a small black bear with ear tag and collar, looked like a 2-year-old, was walking down the road.
Later, I saw another bear that looked like maybe a 2=year-old cinnamon, across the road from Rainy Lake.
I had talked with Ranger John a bit earlier, and he'd mentioned the black and cinnamon cubs from 2 years ago of Angry Mom from Calcite were in the area, so I think the cinnamon was one of hers.
It was great to visit with John as I have somehow missed seeing him over the last year and a half, sp I'd hoped I would see him.
Another coyote at Rainy Lake, probably the one I saw yesterday.
Drove down to Lake Butte Overlook, but no sign of Snow or Raspberry. And nothing on the way back to West.

Imageelk at Mammoth clinic 9-25-2018 by Linda Hamilton, on Flickr

ImageElk 18 9-25-2018 by Linda Hamilton, on Flickr

Imageelk admiring self 9-25-2018 by Linda Hamilton, on Flickr

Imagebear near phantom lake 9-25-2018 by Linda Hamilton, on Flickr

Imagecinnamon at rainy lake 9-25-2018 by Linda Hamilton, on Flickr

ImageRainy Lake coyote 9-25-2018 by Linda Hamilton, on Flickr

Dorothy

Re: Sept. 25, 2018

Post by Dorothy »

Fun photos! Thanks for sharing. Feel bad that the rut is over -- we were hoping to hear the elk bugling and such, but guess we're a little late this year. But the photos are great -- it will be fun to see them even if they aren't bugling! And nice to hear that there are a few bears around

I really appreciate you sharing your experiences and photos. Hope the rest of your stays is lots of fun.

lah

Re: Sept. 25, 2018

Post by lah »

Dorothy, No. 18 did bugle several times while he was hanging around the clinic. But there seemed to be no challengers around because there was no answer. He was very attentive to his ladies.
And thanks for looking/reading.