May 18

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

RikWriter

May 18

Post by RikWriter »

Went to the Tetons early this morning and so far, it's a bust. I did get a couple red-tail hawks and a young moose outside the park along the highway, but inside the park I have seen nothing but a few distant elk.

Nikon_nerd

Re: May 18

Post by Nikon_nerd »

My recent experience in the tetons was a bit better than yours. Please see separate report. Weather was much warmer last week with just some scatter showers popping up. This week is much colder with more rain and snow in Yellowstone and GTNP.
Last edited by Nikon_nerd on Sun May 19, 2019 11:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Sorry that the Tetons weren't very productive for you, Rik. I know how frustrated and discouraged you must be. If it's any consolation, I can recall a few years when I never even saw a bear at Slough Creek or any place else in the Park, for that matter. Sad to say that some years are just like that. I've been out several times over the past month looking for wildlife along the River. Seems like all the critters are still lying low because of the brutal winter that we had. And it just won't end! In fact, I just saw my first wildflower of 2019 a couple of days ago, a Hoods Phlox. They usually bloom in early April so it appears that Mother Nature and most wildlife are running a good 4 to 6 weeks behind schedule. If you're planning to make another Park trip in the fall, I bet you'll have no shortage of wildlife photo ops. Animals just seem to be getting a late start this year because last winter was so ugly in the GYE which likely made it extremely difficult for most animals to find food. In fact, last week I found one of my favorite whitetail yearlings dead out in the field across from our house. It had been torn to shreds and eaten. Not certain what killed it but I strongly suspect that either a pack of hungry coyotes or wolves or maybe even a mountain lion may have taken it down. Can't say that I was overly surprised, though, because there just hasn't been much food available for the animals to eat over the past 6 months. They've got to be pretty hungry right now, maybe even starving. So I hope that everyone will take a few extra safety precautions, especially, if they're in the Park right now or have a late spring trip planned. Please stay alert and keep your heads on a swivel. This is no time to be complacent!

billandkaren

Post by billandkaren »

Rik, Karen and I were also in the Tetons Saturday afternoon. We saw a moose along Moose Wilson rd as we were driving in and another one out behind Jackson Lake Lodge. A few elk and a lone bison. We hiked out to Emma Matilda Lake and saw two elk, a pair of sandhills, a ruffed grouse, and a bald eagle flying over the lake. We were also there for a short time 10 days ago and saw a grizzly sow (Blondie?) with her two yearling cubs playing in the snow. But no bears this time.

I've found the Tetons to be very hit and miss. Sometimes great, sometimes fair, sometimes I don't see a thing.
Bill

billandkaren

Post by billandkaren »

Rik, Karen and I were also in the Tetons Saturday afternoon. We saw a moose along Moose Wilson rd as we were driving in and another one out behind Jackson Lake Lodge. A few elk and a lone bison. We hiked out to Emma Matilda Lake and saw two elk, a pair of sandhills, a ruffed grouse, and a bald eagle flying over the lake. We were also there for a short time 10 days ago and saw a grizzly sow (Blondie?) with her two yearling cubs playing in the snow. But no bears this time.

I've found the Tetons to be very hit and miss. Sometimes great, sometimes fair, sometimes I don't see a thing.
Bill