May 21 Nature's Engineers in the Construction Zone

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

billandkaren

May 21 Nature's Engineers in the Construction Zone

Post by billandkaren »

I just read Nikon's post and it shows how different the park can be in different sections on the same day.

We wanted to hike today so on a whim we decided to check out the Bacon Rind trail on the west side of the park. Beautiful hike despite last year's fire with a fresh coating of snow on the trees. No animals though. I forgot to bring our good binoculars so we headed back to Island park and grabbed a quick lunch before heading into the park.

Saw a fox near Blacktail but nothing else until we got to the bridge near Yellowstone Picnic Area and Rosie was asleep by a tree with her 3 cubs. One cub was waking up and put its paw on Rosie's nose. She snapped at it and tried to go back to sleep to no avail as the cub kept moving on her. Finally the cub got up and started to move away when Rosie reached out and bit it which sent it scurrying. That got the other two awake and they started a gentle biting and wrestling match. Rosie tried to continue her snooze but she eventually got up. The cubs tried to engage her but she ignored them and seemed very crabby about the whole situation. The cubs on the other hand were very entertaining. We watched for quite a while before heading into Lamar.

Before the institute there were a few cars in a pullout looking across the river. Someone thought they saw a wolf. No it's a coyote. No wait! It's a coyote and a wolf. We could see them clearly through the binoculars just on the other side of the river and great detail using the scope. It was a young black wolf and the coyote seemed to be leading the wolf likely away from its den. The wolf didn't seem that interested and moved back in the trees.

Headed back to check out an elk carcass we had seen earlier along the Madison. We were dreading the wait at the construction zone, but it was clear. They must have quit early because of the weather. A slushy snow was falling when we went through earlier but now the sun was out and it was somewhat pleasant.

As we were driving, Karen said to pull over. She saw something down by the river. It was two beavers out of the water. She got out with the camera but had to wait for some cars to pass before crossing the road. By then they were in the water swimming upstream. She still got some good shots even with our modest Fuji camera. We then drove on stopping occasionally to follow their progress. It was amazing to see how strong they could swim against the current. We lost one but the other one continued to where the aquaduct goes under the road. It dove down and disappeared but we did see it emerge on the other side. We are a bit concerned because this is where they were working and there appeared to be foam like soap suds near the aquaduct.

Continued on and just south of Beryl Spring a small crowd was looking in the trees across the river. I kidded Karen the Beryl Spring momma griz must be back. Sure enough a griz with 2 two- year- old cubs was moving north through the trees. Had a good look as she moved into a clearing and it sure looked like her with her cubs from 2 years ago. We did not see her last year, but had the 2 previous years.

Finally made it to the elk carcass. But nothing on it except a raven. Maybe tomorrow.

Sorry for the long post, but it was another great day in the land of magic.

Nikon_nerd

Re: May 21 Nature's Engineers in the Construction Zone

Post by Nikon_nerd »

Bill,

Excellent report. Yeah we drove by the elk carcass twice, and nothing was on it either time we went by. Odd.

Can you tell me approximately what time you saw the Beryl Springs sow? She is our favorite bear, and we weren't able to see her last year when we came. We would really like to see her at least once this trip.

Continued success during your trip this year!

lah

Post by lah »

That would have been fun to watch the Rosie family waking up!
And, my goodness, wolf, beaver and Beryl family!
Good, good day, I would think!

billandkaren

Post by billandkaren »

Nikon_nerd wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:56 am
Bill,

Excellent report. Yeah we drove by the elk carcass twice, and nothing was on it either time we went by. Odd.

Can you tell me approximately what time you saw the Beryl Springs sow? She is our favorite bear, and we weren't able to see her last year when we came. We would really like to see her at least once this trip.

Continued success during your trip this year!
Nikon, we saw her first in her old spot East of the river and just south of Beryl Spring. Saw her again Wed morning on the southern end of Gibbon Meadows. She started going back in the trees and up the hill though.

Sorry didn't see your post until this morning. Hope you see (saw) her.