Post and read news about Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

RikWriter

Elk brought down by wolves on the Gardiner HS football field

Post by RikWriter »

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/n ... e3f4d.html

Wolves kill, devour elk on Gardiner school's football field
BRETT FRENCH Billings Gazette

A wolf-killed cow elk carcass was hauled off the Gardiner Public Schools football field on April 12, just one of the unusual incidents that comes with having Yellowstone National Park as a neighbor.
The 8-Mile pack was credited with the nighttime kill, leaving the site just before dawn. It is the largest pack in the park, featuring six adults and 15 yearlings.

Having wolves so close to humans comes with concerns. If the wolves don’t show fear of humans, they may be hazed by park staff shooting rubber bullets or cracker shells. This pack however, “exhibited natural wary and wild wolf behavior by traveling quickly away from the carcass, which was mostly consumed, and returned to the park,” according to a park spokesperson.

mdtrot

Re: Elk brought down by wolves on the Gardiner HS football field

Post by mdtrot »

Wow, I'm surprised some grizzly didn't sniff out the activity and show up for a meal!

RikWriter

Re: Elk brought down by wolves on the Gardiner HS football field

Post by RikWriter »

mdtrot wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:31 pm
Wow, I'm surprised some grizzly didn't sniff out the activity and show up for a meal!
You know, it's funny, I was a substitute teacher for about 10 years and I had a dream once back about 2012 that I was substituting at the Gardiner HS and while I was walking to a class, a grizzly bear started walking up the walkway between buildings. :D