May 22, 2018 PIX ADDED -- BELOW

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Max

Re: May 22, 2018 PIX ADDED -- BELOW

Post by Max »

Nice cub pics, Linda. I haven't had a single photo op with any of them yet.

Max

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Wonderful shots, Linda!! Not only were you in the right place at the right time, but your timing, when you pressed the shutter button, was absolutely perfect!!! Time for you to take a bow....hope you can hear the applause. You really nailed your bear shots! Congratulations!! :D

Stonebridge

Post by Stonebridge »

So many great reports recently. Sounds like everyone is having a great time in the park right now. I just returned from my 10 day visits to YNP & GTNP.
Over 140+ miles in the back country.
Sightings included:
75 Grizzlies
23 Black Bears
11 Moose
8 Coyotes
28 Wolves
1 Mountain Lion
Many of these sightings were driving to the usual spots in both parks and quite a few occurred hiking into the back country to remote areas to escape the crowds. The weather varied from heavy snow to 75 degrees and sunny. Both YNP & GTNP never disappoint. Great to see many old friends and meet some new ones and enjoy some great hiking adventures. Many close encounters with grizzlies and a mountain lion which were intense but also memorable.
I look forward to my next trip in the Fall to visit a few locations on my list and see wildlife up close in the back country again.
Anyone looking for different ideas on hiking trails or wildlife locations just send me a message.If anyone is going to park in the coming weeks, have a great time and I hope your list of things to see if accomplished.
Peter

lah

Post by lah »

Max, thank you. The Calcite mom and cub were really putting on a show that one day I hope you'll find some of the Tower-Roosevelt families and get some good time with them.

Yellvet, thanks for the very kind words. As I said, those bears were really showing off, so it was easy finding shots, even in a heavy rain.

Peter, sounds like you really worked for what you saw, and you came across a great collection of critters! I'd have trouble just keeping count. Would love to see a mountain lion someday. I see tracks around here, where I live near Salt Lake, but I never see the cats.

Stonebridge

Post by Stonebridge »

I would say half of the wildlife I photographed was from driving around the park and just outside the boundary. Obviously, Lamar is a great place to start and Hayden always delivers, but the west side of the park was quite fruitful this trip. I came across 12 grizzlies from Mammoth to Madison which I didn't expect to see. The mountain lion came really close to me while hiking along Slough Creek just east of campground. Quite a surprise when I was more focused on finding bears. As many have mentioned already, some grizzly sightings are way up high and a scope is needed to see them. I feel back country hiking is the best way to get up close with the wildlife.