End of May, 2017

Share you photos here.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

Nordwil

End of May, 2017

Post by Nordwil »

We didn't see quite as much as in previous years, but did witness some interesting behavior.

I still have more to go through and upload to Flickr, but here's a few from our trip:

I forgot my polarizer on last years hike to Trout Lake and had to turn around (after the steep section!) to go back for it this year, but I'm glad I did. I'm a novice to video, but this Cutthroat was cool to see:

Update, While I figured out how to upload the photos, I'm not sure I can upload a video from Flickr. Feel free to see it on the Flickr site tho, it was a real National Geographic moment! https://www.flickr.com/photos/rwilhelms ... otostream/

Here's a Grizzly near West Thumb finding dead fish below the ice:

The red dogs were all in the northern portion of the park, but they were rambunctious:

And a Coyote on the prowl in Hayden Valley:
Walked by our car after the unsuccessful hunt:

We may have missed a lot, but what we saw was educational at least!

Highwalker

Re: End of May, 2017

Post by Highwalker »

Great shots! Love the red dog kicking up it's heels! You didn't miss much. We were there the last week of May as well. And while it was an amazing trip, we did not see as much as I had hoped either. Right place, wrong time, I guess...

sandwedge

Post by sandwedge »

Nice shots! I always joke that the geese in the park are jealous of all the other animals getting their photo taken. Looks like they are photobombing your shot of the coyote!

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Great photos -- loved the red dog jumping and that coyote with the canada geese is spectacular! See, even Canada Geese can be a great photo subject if you get them at the right time (otherwise, they are a "oh, it's just Canada Geese").

Nordwil

Post by Nordwil »

sandwedge wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:22 pm
Nice shots! I always joke that the geese in the park are jealous of all the other animals getting their photo taken. Looks like they are photobombing your shot of the coyote!
Thanks! That was one of the few times we actually were able to watch a "hunt" transpire (I guess we're usually too impatient!). The coyote crossed the road near one pull out and went into the sage. We drove ahead to the next pullout and waited for him, then watched him stealthily creep through the sage before surging after the geese! He didn't get too close but gave it a valiant effort!
Last edited by Nordwil on Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nordwil

Post by Nordwil »

Dorothy wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:49 pm
Great photos -- loved the red dog jumping and that coyote with the canada geese is spectacular! See, even Canada Geese can be a great photo subject if you get them at the right time (otherwise, they are a "oh, it's just Canada Geese").
Thanks, I agree! We had a whole lot of "Oh" moments the first few days of our trip while in Hayden and South. The geese were everywhere! We saw far less action than the last few visits, especially in Hayden, but it was still a memorable trip.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Well done, Rick! Seems like we always miss each other by a week or two. This year we didn't get to the Park until mid June. Next year, I'm going to bring a GoPro camera and an extended pole up to Trout Lake. Met a camper two years ago who had a GoPro and he took the most stunning video of the trout spawn at Trout Lake. My goal is to the same thing, only with the otters. They always put on such a show. Thought it would be fun to shoot some footage of them rolling around, diving like submarines and gobbling down cutthroats. Got lots of wonderful still pix of them but thought a video that captured all their antics under water would give those little rascals the photographic justice that they truly deserve. They're such amazing critters and so photogenic. Didn't see them when I went to Trout Lake this year. Not sure why. I even went twice. Spring was late, so perhaps they were still down by the Confluence or in the process of moving up to the Lake. Not sure why they weren't around but I really missed seeing them. Did you see them when you were at the Lake?

lah

Post by lah »

Wonderful shots!

Nordwil

Post by Nordwil »

yellvet wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:31 am
Well done, Rick! Seems like we always miss each other by a week or two. This year we didn't get to the Park until mid June. Next year, I'm going to bring a GoPro camera and an extended pole up to Trout Lake. Met a camper two years ago who had a GoPro and he took the most stunning video of the trout spawn at Trout Lake. My goal is to the same thing, only with the otters. They always put on such a show. Thought it would be fun to shoot some footage of them rolling around, diving like submarines and gobbling down cutthroats. Got lots of wonderful still pix of them but thought a video that captured all their antics under water would give those little rascals the photographic justice that they truly deserve. They're such amazing critters and so photogenic. Didn't see them when I went to Trout Lake this year. Not sure why. I even went twice. Spring was late, so perhaps they were still down by the Confluence or in the process of moving up to the Lake. Not sure why they weren't around but I really missed seeing them. Did you see them when you were at the Lake?
Thanks Paula! No, I've never seen Otters in Yellowstone (or anywhere else for that matter!) Been to Trout Lake twice in two years but no luck.
Glad you're feeling better! I just picked up a great deal on a local 600 v1 and am enjoying trying it out. I figured it's now or never! We'll see how the back holds up!

Nordwil

Post by Nordwil »

lah wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:48 am
Wonderful shots!
Thank you! It's been fun watching the scenarios unfold (like the Coyote). Maybe we're just taking a deep breath and letting nature happen and seeing it more? The Osprey have been fishing near me and it's been fun watching (and shooting). Still haven't gotten that money shot yet!