YELLOWSTONE LIVE - 4 DAY EVENT 4-5-2018 NAT GEO CHANNEL

Post and read news about Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

pugman170

YELLOWSTONE LIVE - 4 DAY EVENT 4-5-2018 NAT GEO CHANNEL

Post by pugman170 »

For those who don't know there is a 4 day event on National Geographic channel starting tomorrow, Sunday Aug 5th thru Aug 8th each night, live cameras , see Yellowstone Live as if you were there...... If you haven't been to YNP for a while now is your chance to see it live for four consecutive nights Live on TV.... Check it out.

https://yellowstoneinsider.com/2018/07/ ... day-event/
Last edited by pugman170 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeartoothTucker

Re: YELLOWSTONE LIVE - 4 DAY EVENT 4-5-2018 NAT GEO CHANNEL

Post by BeartoothTucker »

Anyone else notice the ducks on the pond are ducklings that appear to be May or June age?

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Saw the first part last night. What a huge disappointment....from start to finish!! Not only was it a technical disaster (mics weren't working properly) but much of the show did not appear to be "live", IMO. The show was packed with lame comments from the hosts who obviously knew little, if anything, about Yellowstone or its wildlife. The special also contained "canned" footage that was, obviously shot at another point in time or location which, no doubt, was simply added as a time filler for the special.
More importantly, why on earth would anyone choose the month of August to broadcast a "live" show from the Park and the GYE if the primary focus was observing Yellowstone wildlife? August is probably the worst month of the year for observing wildlife in the GYE. Why? Because August weather in the GYE is very dry and HOT, which tends to drive most animals to the higher elevations to escape the heat. Showing wildlife footage that was shot from the road side by the Yellowstone Institute in the Lamar Valley (with cars driving and whizzing by) is hardly my idea of being in the wilderness. I suspect that other Yellowstone enthusiasts who watched Part 1, questioned that as well.

For those of you who saw the first part, did you notice how the gal in the helicopter kept saying that she wasn't able to spot any wolves? I wish that I would have counted the number of times that she and the ground photographer kept saying that they weren't seeing any wolves "at the moment" or that they must have just missed an animal or would check back later. I blame the show's producers and the technical crew for that because they, obviously hadn't done their homework or done any research on Yellowstone wildlife or where they normally would be, during the month of August. I almost felt sorry for the gal in the helicopter and the ground photographers. They must have been totally embarrassed, not to mention being humiliated, especially, when Nat Geo had touted them as being some of the best wildlife experts and photographers in the world. Ha!!

Yellowstone has always been a big draw that tends to increase a network's viewers and ratings. But IMO, Yellowstone Live was neither an honest or a well-produced show. So whether or not I'll I'll even waste my time watching the rest of the Yellowstone special remains to be seen. The entire production of the show was obviously done on the cheap. I've got a BA in Communications with a mass communications option. My hubby also worked in the media for over 20+ years (radio and television). We've also been going to Yellowstone together for over 30+ years. So we can say from our professional experience that you never ever do a live remote broadcast from the field unless your equipment is working flawlessly....And, you always have backup equipment with you in the event that any of your gear should fail (like the mics in Pt. 1 of the Nat Geo Yellowstone special). Did Nat Geo care? Obviously not, in light of what I saw. In fact, I bet many of our own forum members could have done a far better job and, probably, would have enjoyed contributing to the show (ie: providing GYE wildlife locations for specific animals and birds) based on their own personal knowledge of Yellowstone and the GYE wildlife coupled with their own professional photography and technical expertise.
On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest rating, I rate last night's show a minus 10. Hopefully,the rest of the Yellowstone Live Special will be better, both technically and in content. At this point, all I can say is, "Shame on you, Natl Geographic. You could have and should have done a much better job!" For me, the Yellowstone Live special was a major flop. And, that's really too bad because the special could have been a huge boost to help promote Yellowstone and give global Nat Geo viewers an opportunity to see, up close, the power, magic and majesty of Yellowstone.

I'm pretty darn happy that Bob and Ray didn't see last night's show. Bob and Ray, you see, are my two most favorite Slough Creek bison bulls that I've photographed for several years. If they had seen last night's special, they'd likely be rolling around in a wallow down by the Creek right now, kicking up sand and snorting their disapproval of last night's Pt. 1 of the Yellowstone Live special. :lol:

Hike Yellowstone

Post by Hike Yellowstone »

I too was really disappointed in what I saw. I completely agree with you yellvet! I taped last night and just watched it and one of the announcers kept calling the geysers "geezers". His counterpart corrected him but how ignorant!

BeartoothTucker

I am also disappointed. Was really looking forward to it. When the guy suggested that people would expect the bear to be catching salmon in a spawning run and not grazing in a field they lost me. I realize bears catch salmon in spawning runs, but in a show about Yellowstone you'd think they would work to keep it Yellowstone centric.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

Yeah, it was pretty lame. Also, did it look to anyone else like the location of that shot of the two announcer guys by a wooden structure was that barn on Mormon Row near Jackson? If so, that's a long way from YNP.

Edit: I see on tonight's show that is not the case.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Sadly, this is exactly what happens when National Geographic and not the cinematographer/photographer takes editorial control over all the original video footage. Instead of presenting an honest look at wildlife in their natural Yellowstone environment, the Nat Geo video editing staff turns the final video product into a grade-school level animal fantasy movie...giving animals human-like characteristics. I hate to clue Nat Geo in but most Yellowstone visitors and advocates are not little kids. They're adults!

BeartoothTucker

I would rate the whole thing pretty low. I guess they got what they wanted...Yellowstone in the title and people like me will watch even if it isn't very well done.

mdtrot

Post by mdtrot »

I was half way expecting an eagle to swoop down and snatch that owl they so ceremoniously released back into the wild. Also, I didn't like the way they seemed to romanticize the wolves as playing, when a group of them were singling out one other wolf and rather brutally attacking it in order to establish the pecking order.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Finally broke down and decided to watch the last show of Yellowstone Live. I was really hoping that Nat Geo would get it right this time considering all the negative reviews on Part One. But instead of redeeming itself, Nat Geo merely added insult to injury. I mean really.....enticing and feeding a wild Yellowstone red fox with treats just so the the film crew could capture the fox on camera and the host could brag about his wildlife expertise and how he was feeding the "wild foxes" that were around his house in the UK? That was the biggest sin of all, IMO. On a positive note, at least the female host was wearing a flannel shirt and not a Calvin Klein original in the last show and they finally got the mics working. ;)

Nice try, Nat Geo but no cigar. Your global viewers, many which are long-time, repeat Yellowstone visitors are not stupid lemmings. And, most, if not all of them, would never consider feeding a wild animal in Yellowstone or in MT. After all, feeding wildlife is against the law in Yellowstone and in MT! Makes ya wonder if anyone on the Nat Geo staff or if anyone on the Yellowstone media staff had even watched the Yellowstone Live show to check the show's facts and film content for accuracy...BEFORE the Special aired. IMHO, the Nat Geo Yellowstone Live Special, probably, did more to help promote and encourage bad Yellowstone visitor behavior rather than to address and change it for the safety and well-being for all Yellowstone visitors and wildlife. The Park has far too many ignorant and arrogant visitors and rule violators, as it is, IMO. Rangers won't even give rule violators a citation or warning. So I fail to understand why the Park would help promote and encourage bad visitor behavior and such blatant disrespect for Yellowstone wildlife, its rules and regulations? I know, I know!! ;) Bet the Park was paid "beaucoup de bucks" for allowing NatGeo to broadcast the Live special from the Park. But the question is whether or not the NatGeo Special will help or hurt Yellowstone, in the long run. Sadly, in the media world, any news/info on a popular topic, whether good or bad (even fake news) has a tendency to increase a network's television viewers and ratings. I just hope that the money that Yellowstone and the NPS received for allowing Nat Geo to broadcast its live special from the Park will be put to good use like hiring additional rangers to enforce the Park's existing wildlife rules and regs, the Park's speed limit and educating visitors on the real dangers that are associated with walking, camping, hiking or when taking pix/shooting film in the wild. For me, the Nat Geo special was a bomb and did nothing to maintain the high standards that are normally associated with a Nat Geo program.