October Trip, Days 1-2

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

RikWriter

October Trip, Days 1-2

Post by RikWriter »

Day 1 was a total bust due to the snowstorm closing everything.
Day 2 I went out towards Canyon first thing, but the Norris-Canyon Rd was still closed. I went to the Lamar and saw nothing, then went back and tried Canyon again and it was open, but the road to Fishing Bridge was still closed. I hung out until about 12:30 and then stopped at Canyon Visitor's Center to use their restroom before I headed back and heard a ranger say they'd JUST opened Fishing Bridge five minutes ago. I headed down it and went straight to Pelican and hiked into the first treeline. Not more than 200 yards into it, I found a great grey owl and had it for a half an hour before it flew away.
Nothing else really today, but that was pretty cool.

DPS

Re: October Trip, Days 1-2

Post by DPS »

Get any good snow shots Rick?

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

A great grey owl? Wow! That makes it a great day! Did you get any photos?

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Sorry I didn't post any more trip reports, but I wound up driving around with a friend and we stayed out late enough I just didn't have time for any more. I wound up seeing four GGOs, one at Pelican, one near Otter Creek, one near Two Ocean Lake and one at a ski resort outside the park. Only got shots of two of them.
Didn't see a single black bear and only one grizzly in Teton at Two Ocean Lake and didn't get any good shots of that one. Only wolves I saw were dots in a spotting scope. I saw three foxes, didn't get really exceptional shots of them. The fall colors were gone and everything looked dead. The biggest problem was Fishing Bridge was closed so I couldn't get to Mary and Sedge Bay or the East entrance where most of the grizzly action was. Disappointing trip.

billandkaren

Post by billandkaren »

Wow Rik. Sounds pretty successful to me. Acouple years ago we also saw a GGO in the area you described along Pelican Valley. We saw him fly back in some trees and so I went off trail trying to get a better look. I kept looking in the area where I thought he landed without success. I decided to give up and head back to the trail when I turned around and there he was perched low in a tree. He must have been laughing at me for about 15 minutes :lol: .
I motioned to Karen to come join me and we were able to watch for about 10 minutes before he flew off.

Thanks for the report. We recently were in the parks for a couple days and saw only one Griz and no black bears. In the spring/early summer black bears were everywhere. Where have they all gone?

Bill