May 11 and 12

Share your latest adventure in Yellowstone.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

RikWriter

May 11 and 12

Post by RikWriter »

I arrived in the park about 5PM on the 11th, Saturday, and made my way from the west entrance up to Mammoth. I passed through the madness around Obsidian and her 3 COY but didn't stop because they were in the trees and on the side backlit by the setting sun. Didn't see anything else on the way to Mammoth nor on my run up to Pebble Creek before checking into my hotel.
Sunday, I went east and got a few shots of a perched great grey owl. Saw the grizzly on the carcass near LeHardy but it is pretty far away and the light was bad. Went past Lake Butte and saw Raspberry but she was on top of a hill far away and didn't come down.
Went back to where I'd seen the owl in the afternoon and got some nice quality time with a pine marten.
Headed back to Mammoth and got caught in the circus around Obsidian and pulled over after seeing the cars were just not going to move. Then she and the cubs passed right by my car. I may have got a few shots.
Good first full day.

Nordwil

Re: May 11 and 12

Post by Nordwil »

That DOES sound like a great day! I'll be there the 23'rd through the 30'th. Save some sightings for me lol!
I'm packing a pair of lightweight waterproof boots to slip into in case the field near Canyon is flooded. I'd love to sight my first Great Gray, but I'll take what I can get.

Does it seem like the crowds are getting there earlier and earlier each year?

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Well, once again, it looks like I'm going to miss you while you're in the Park, Rick. Got lots on our plate right now, so we aren't going to go to the Park until mid June. Hope you have a great time and get lots of terrific photo ops. Looking forward to your trip report and pix. :)
Last edited by yellvet on Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Well, once again, it looks like I'm going to miss you while you're in the Park, Rick. Got lots going on right now, so we aren't going to the Park until mid June. Hope you have a great time. Looking forward to seeing your trip report and pix. BTW, about ten years ago I started wearing rubber high-top rain boots on my Park trips. They work really well for walking through wet grass, sloppy roads and water. I even wear them around our house when I'm doing yard work and when I walk along the River. They're called "Chore Boots" and Walmart carries them for men and women. Best part, they're very inexpensive...about $20. I usually buy a pair every other year or so and put a memory foam insole in each boot. Very comfy and they work well even when I'm walking long distances. The chore boots have a lug/chain link pattern on the bottom sole of the boots to keep you from slipping. Sure beats paying $100 or more for an expensive pair of water proof waterfowl hunting boots. Just an idea that I wanted to pass on to you and the other forum members if you want to keep your feet dry and stable whenever you're sloshing around in the muck. :)

Nordwil

Post by Nordwil »

Thanks Paula, great info and sorry to miss you yet again!

I went looking for some boots last year and our local supplier showed me a pair of Tingley ultra lights. I was amazed at how light they were (2.1 pounds shipping weight). Still bulky, but I packed as much as I could inside them and was able to make it work. Buying those chore boots locally and perhaps donating them after would free up some luggage space that could be used for photo gear tho!

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

Rick, I usually order the "chore boot"s online from Walmart. Shipping is usually free and the package is delivered right to our house. Rain boots have gotten pretty popular the past few years. So if you've got a Walmart near by, consider giving them a call. Or you might even call/check with the Walmart in Bozeman. The store might have them in stock. I wear them almost every day and they usually last about 2 years. But I'm also pretty small and I don't weigh much. So my shoes and boots are usually in pretty good shape when I retire them. Bet you might be able to find them at the Walmart store in Bozeman, if that's the airport, that you'll be flying in to. Last year they had them at the Billings Walmart and also at the Laurel Walmart. I saw them online at Walmart a few weeks ago because I was thinking of getting another pair. Heck, at $20 a pair, I would think that donating them to Good Will or to the local MT rescue mission would be much appreciated...what a great idea! Think I'll do that in the future whenever I buy a new pair. Thanks for the tip! Here's a description of my rubber chore boots, if you're interested.

My chore boots are black and the bottom lug sole is green. They're not at all fancy or stylish. I think that they're also available in kids sizes. Last time I checked the kids version had a burnt orange lug sole and the boot was black. These boots are great! They get the job done and keep my feet dry all year long (even when it's snowing). I suspect that a lot of MT ranchers and women probably buy them as a less expensive alternative to buying the more expensive irrigation boots. So far I've never had a leak in my boots (knock on wood). This will be my third year on my current boots. I'll be interested to see if I can squeeze another year out of them. Guess our trip to Slough Creek will tell the story....The Park gets a lot of rain in June so our campsite is usually fairly wet and muddy. Looking forward to seeing your trip report and pix. Hope you have a great time!

Update: Just checked the chore/rain boot inventory at the Bozeman Walmart. Here's the link:
https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id= ... hore+boots

Looks like the store has a number of relatively inexpensive rain/chore boots that might work for you. :)

Max

Post by Max »

Thanks for the report, Rick. Congrats on the owl and pine marten. I would be happy with either, much less both, for my limited time in the park this spring.

Max

Nikon_nerd

Post by Nikon_nerd »

Great report Rick! Sounds like a successful trip already. Really appreciate you taking the time to report. We will be there next week. Good luck with the rest of your trip!