Ordered a new lens for the trip

Share you photos here.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

RikWriter

Ordered a new lens for the trip

Post by RikWriter »

So, after a couple years of dithering about it, I finally ordered a Canon 100-400II to replace my old first-generation model. It should arrive a few days before my scheduled October trip to the parks. Found a good deal on a used one at B&H. I've heard great things about the lens, so I hope I am impressed with it

Alicia

Re: Ordered a new lens for the trip

Post by Alicia »

Good for you! I also picked up a new one: the 150-500 Nikon. Everything I’ve read and heard has been positive. It’ll replace my 150-500 Sigma which I have not really been pleased with as far as tack sharp on the long end.

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Alicia wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:35 pm
Good for you! I also picked up a new one: the 150-500 Nikon. Everything I’ve read and heard has been positive. It’ll replace my 150-500 Sigma which I have not really been pleased with as far as tack sharp on the long end.

Cool, hope you like it.

Nordwil

Post by Nordwil »

You will love it! The AF simply blows the old version out of the water! I picked a used one up locally last spring after selling my old version (the "stuffing" was falling out of the push pull zoom and it wasn't locking tightly anymore). My 7D2 was having issues so at first I wasn't impressed, but after Canon got my camera right I'm in love with photography again! It's been on my camera all summer.

I actually just picked up a 600 f4 v1 locally. I got home from work and my wife asked me if I saw the lens mentioned for sale on a local Facebook birding page (what a woman!). Next day it was mine. I figured I'll spend some time with it and see how my back holds up lol!

Congrats and Happy shooting!

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

That's the same long prime I have, Nordwil: the 600mm f4L VI. Bought a VIII 1.4X TC to go with it.

Nordwil

Post by Nordwil »

Do you find the version III TC's to be much better than VII? I have the 1.4 and 2x VII and I'm not sure I'm in love with the 1.4. I have an older Tamron SP 1.4 that worked very well with my 300 and I'm tempted to revert to that. I'll try to do some more comparing.
I'm really enjoying the 600, although I haven't taken it very far from the truck!

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Honestly, I haven't had time to take the lens out with the new TC since I got it. The hurricane basically shut down all the nature parks around here and they're still shut down by flooded trails. I guess the TC will get a workout at Yellowstone next week...

Max

Post by Max »

That lens works surprisingly well with the 1.4x teleconverter (especially given how the old one basically didn't cooperate with teleconverters at all). I'll be curious to see if it's adequate for you, Rick, since I know you've used big primes in the park before.

Max

RikWriter

Post by RikWriter »

Max wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:00 pm
That lens works surprisingly well with the 1.4x teleconverter (especially given how the old one basically didn't cooperate with teleconverters at all). I'll be curious to see if it's adequate for you, Rick, since I know you've used big primes in the park before.

Max
It's not my only long lens for this trip. As I said, I'm bringing the 600 f4 with me as well. This lens is going to be for closer shots, quick shots from the car window and hiking.

Max

Post by Max »

Cool. In that case, you probably won't even need the combo unless you leave the 600 behind while hiking or something. Sounds like you're set.

Max