Camping near Cooke City

Want to know more in-depth about the Park? This is the forum for you.

Moderators: Bruce, DPS

rzrpirate

Camping near Cooke City

Post by rzrpirate »

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience about dispersed camping around Cooke City? I will be in the area before the FS campgrounds open and would like to be as close to Lamar Valley as possible. I do have a hard sided camper.

Absarokanaut

Re: Camping near Cooke City

Post by Absarokanaut »

Not sure if it will be open trrribly early but down low but up just a bit on the Lulu Pass Road is a group of awesome sites with the best view in Montana...back into Wyoming of Pilot and Index. :D

rzrpirate

Post by rzrpirate »

Thanks, it will be about June 12th. Soda Butte and the other campgrounds around Cooke City are saying opening is July 1 so I'm hoping I can just disperse camp. Got all I need for it. I have backup reservations in the park but not where I need them for the northern half. Heading toward the park would I just turn right on Lula Pass FS road and keep my eyes open? If so about how far out are they?

Woolly the Mammoth

Post by Woolly the Mammoth »

rzrpirate wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 am
Thanks, it will be about June 12th. Soda Butte and the other campgrounds around Cooke City are saying opening is July 1 so I'm hoping I can just disperse camp. Got all I need for it. I have backup reservations in the park but not where I need them for the northern half. Heading toward the park would I just turn right on Lula Pass FS road and keep my eyes open? If so about how far out are they?
Yes. There is a really nice spot right off the highway.

yellvet

Post by yellvet »

I think that I may have another option for you...the NFS Crazy Creek Campground. It's located right off Hwy 212 east of Cooke City and sits high on a bluff overlooking Crazy Creek. The campground was renovated by the NFS a few years ago when the they were resurfacing Hwy 212. Been past the entrance a few times but never drove into the campground to check out the renovated sites. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that some of the sites even have power now. But you'll need to bring your own water. The area NE of Yellowstone along Hwy 212 is one of the prettiest areas that you'll ever find, absolutely breathtaking! But it also has a high level of bear activity, so you'll need to maintain a high level of bear awareness at all times and be sure that you've got bear spray. Since you mentioned that you'll be using a hard-sided camper for your trip, this might make a dandy campground for you. It's a fairly secluded campground and it's right on your way to Cooke City, Silvergate and the NE entrance to Yellowstone. If you decide to stay at Crazy Creek, I hope you'll post a trip report with a few pix of the campground. Not sure why I didn't think of Crazy Creek campground before now...sorry about that. Here's the link to the NFS web page that will give you all the details on the Crazy Creek campground where sites are only $10/night.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/shoshon ... ecid=35861
Best part, it looks like the campground will be open for your trip dates. Hope you have a fabulous trip! :)

rzrpirate

Post by rzrpirate »

Thanks Yellvet, I have had a change of plans on my dates. I have to move from June until Sept. I had great luck with all my reservations stops just switching forward and even came out better in Yellowstone as I was able to get in Canyon CG. I am still stopping outside the NE entrance for at least three days as that is an area I haven't had the opportunity to explore. I did see that Crazy Creek is open until Sept 9th so I will be right on target. I will be bear aware as I was tent camping in the park several years ago when the incident took place at the NF CG, maybe Soda Butte, that really hit home. I want to spend some time on the Beartooth as I have only driven it but didn't have the time to really take my time. I hope to get down to Red Lodge also as we got there late, spent the night and headed out early. Thanks again.