All Dates are Subject to Change
- Call 307-344-2117 or check locally for road updates.
2016-2017 Winter Oversnow (Snowmobile & Snowcoach) Opening Dates
- December 15: Conditions permitting, the park will open at 8 am to oversnow vehicles from Mammoth to Madison; Madison to Old Faithful; Madison to West Entrance; from Old Faithful to West Thumb; from South to Lake Butte Overlook, from Canyon to Lake and from Canyon to Norris.
- December 22: Conditions permitting, East Entrance Road (from East to Lake Butte) will open at 8 am.
2017 Spring Oversnow (Snowmobile & Snowcoach) Closing Dates
- March 1: East Entrance, from entrance to Lake Butte, closes at 9 pm
- March 5: Mammoth to Norris Junction closes at 9 pm
- March 7: Norris Junction to Madison Junction, and Norris Junction to Canyon closes at 9 pm
- March 12: Canyon Junction to Fishing Bridge Junction closes at 9 pm
- March 15: Remaining groomed roads in the park close at 9 pm
2017 Spring Road Opening Dates
- April 21: Mammoth to Old Faithful; Madison to West Entrance; Norris to Canyon.
- May 5: Canyon Junction to Lake; Lake to East Entrance (Sylvan Pass).
- May 12: Lake to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), and South Entrance to West Thumb; Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- May 26: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass)
- May 26: Beartooth Highway
If you’ve ever wondered why it takes us so long to transition from oversnow travel to wheeled vehicles, grab a front row seat to the park’s plowing operations and watch the spring plowing video.
Plowing park roads is a monumental challenge each year. Unpredictable spring snow storms or other events can slow plowing progress. It is not uncommon for plowing crews to re-plow sections of roads when weather events happen. Each spring, road crews clear snow and ice from 198 miles from main roads, 124 miles from secondary roads and 125 acres of parking lots inside the park as well as 31 miles of the Beartooth Highway outside the park’s Northeast Entrance to prepare for the summer season.
We recommend that visitors check the following resources before traveling: