Lake, Bridge Bay and Fishing Bridge Visitor Facilities
The Fishing Bridge Museum and Visitor Center is located one mile off the Grand Loop Road on the East Entrance Road. Built in 1931, it is a National Historic Landmark. Its distinctive stone-and-log architecture, known as “parkitecture,” became a prototype for park buildings all around the country. The historic bird specimens (by Carl Russell) were installed in 1931, provide a good overview of the birds of Yellowstone. Other taxidermied animals include a grizzly sow and two cubs (formerly from the Canyon Visitor Center) and a family of river otters. Because there is no auditorium in this building and because there is no film, video, or slide show on the resources specific to the Lake District, we do not show any audio-visual programs in the Fishing Bridge Visitor Center and Museum. The East Wing of the building houses a large Yellowstone Association book sales outlet.
The Division of Resource Management and Visitor Protection operates two contact stations, the ranger stations at Lake and Bridge Bay, where they issue backcountry and boating permits and also distribute general park information.