Although Yellowstone National Park is open year around, the park is fully accessible only from late May/early June to late October.
The northern section of the park’s roadway, from the North entrance at Gardiner, Montana to the northeast entrance at Cooke City, Montana is the only portion open year around.
Mid-December through early March is winter season, during which oversnow vehicles are permitted on snow-groomed roadways of the lower loop of the park, and from Mammoth Hot Springs to Norris Geyser Basin.
From mid-March to mid-April park crews work on clearing the roads of snow. In early-to-mid April the park’s roads open for about two weeks of bicycle access only.
Lower elevation roads begin opening to automobile traffic in late April, and by about early June, depending on weather conditions, all of the roads in the Park are open to automobile traffic.
Then, depending on weather conditions, higher elevation roadways in Yellowstone begin closing in late October. All roads except the northern section close by the second week of the November. And in mid-December, some park roads, as noted above, open for oversnow vehicles.
2019 Spring Opening Dates
Conditions permitting, roads will open to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates. Colors listed after the dates correspond to the colors on the 2019 Spring Opening and Fall Closing map.
- April 19 (Blue): West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village.
- May 3 (Yellow): East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village.
- May 10 (Orange): South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
- May 24 (Purple): Tower Fall to Canyon Village (Dunraven Pass)
- May 24: Beartooth Highway
Map showing the road and entrance dates for automobiles. Weather permitting, roads open/close at 8 am on the day shown. Changes and delays are possible.
Roads will close to regular (public) vehicles at 8:00 am on the following dates. Colors listed after the dates correspond to the colors on the 2019 Spring Opening and Fall Closing map.
- October 15 (Purple): Tower Fall to Canyon (Dunraven Pass), Beartooth Highway (US 212 to Red Lodge, Montana).
- November 4 (Blue, Yellow, and Orange): All roads close at 8 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
Conditions permitting, roads will open to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach at 8 am on the following dates:
- December 15: West Entrance to Old Faithful, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Canyon to Norris, Canyon to Lake, Old Faithful to West Thumb, South Entrance to Lake, Lake to Lake Butte Overlook.
- December 22: East Entrance to Lake Butte Overlook (Sylvan Pass)
Roads will close to oversnow travel by snowmobile and snowcoach at 9 pm on the following dates:
- March 1: East Entrance to Lake Butte Overlook (Sylvan Pass).
- March 8: Mammoth Hot Springs to Norris.
- March 10: Norris to Madison, Norris to Canyon Village.
- March 8: Canyon Village to Fishing Bridge.
- March 15: All remaining groomed roads close.